Sunday, July 27, 2008

The Secret

How many of you have read or seen the Secret? This is the idea about the Law of Attraction. Our lives our manifestations of our thoughts, so all we have to do is think about what we want--put that intention out to the universe, then it will come to pass. We will attract those things to us. Now, I'm not sure how much of that I believe. Certainly I think it is better to be positive than negative, but I think the idea of the Secret can cause people guilt and frustration if things DON'T manifest. I suppose that people who believe it whole-heartedly would say there's still a lack of faith. I decided to try it a bit today. Before I left my house to do some errands I said I wanted to run into somebody that I really wanted to see. I ran into my friend Jenny Hunt. I worked with her at ELI before she left to have twins. It was so fun seeing her and her children!

So, it worked. But how do I deal with one of the most problematic areas of my life right now--my smoky apartment? If I simply say I want to live in a smoke free environment--put that out into the universe-- how do I keep myself from feeling frustrated and upset when I do smell smoke? Do I keep complaining to the management and working on the solution (which might include forcing them to let me break my contract and move) or do I just trust now that it will all work out? What do you think?

I have a friend who has kind of lived parts of her life by doing the opposite of the Secret--imagining the undesired. I think her life is going pretty well! I'm confused! And I'm kind of turned off by all the mention of wealth and material things that you can get if you figured out the Secret. I need to hear from those of you who've read the book or seen the movie.

3 comments:

chiggyz said...

You are so funny Maddie--Naui says there is a Seinfeld episode where George desires the opposite of everything he really desires and it everything he really desires starts happening to him. I believe in The Secret to a certain degree. I still believe that bad things happen to the best people. With faith and a positive attitude, you can really go places. I do believe in a collective conscious and a universal force, but things don't always turn out how we want them to.ypwyd

ixoj said...

I usually try to think positive about things...and then the worst possible thing usually happens (at least when it comes to money or cars). But maybe I don't truly believe myself when I'm wishing for the best to happen. ;)

Katie said...

I haven't read the book or seen the movie...I just heard snippits about it on Oprah. But, in my condo in Atlanta I could smell smoke from the man below us.(Do you remember that?) I hated it, but I didn't know how to address that issue either. Good luck!